0 – Chief of Staff
As we continue to grow, we need a motivated and adaptable individual to support our team as Chief of Staff.
As a strategist, consultant, and implementer, the successful candidate will ensure streamlined activities within the organization based on the priorities of the President and CEO, María Teresa Kumar. The Chief of Staff will handle day-today management of personnel, enabling María Teresa to work most effectively with internal and external stakeholders and to fulfill her commitments with Voto Latino’s partners, funders, and the Board of Directors.
This is not an administrative role; it is a highly strategic and facilitative one that requires a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active, behind-the-scenes role. As María Teresa’s right-hand, the role requires a highly resourceful individual with strong emotional intelligence, discretion, self-motivation, and strong analytical skills.
The right candidate is plugged into the arena of government and politics; knows the key players, has access to them and can leverage those relationships to advance the mission of Voto Latino.
The Chief of Staff will report directly to María Teresa and be responsible for the following:
Staff Management and Support
- Oversee all staff, including ongoing progress toward goals and overall performance.
- Develop, implement, and execute standards and processes for organization-wide approval, progress tracking, and communication flow.
- Ensure all staff issues are addressed properly, efficiently and judiciously, and keep track of progress until resolved.
- Work with all staff to ensure that María Teresa’s needs are clearly conveyed, that progress is being made in a timely way, and that any demands on her schedule are understood and agreed upon.
- Coordinate/orchestrate projects or commitments directly involving María Teresa and staff to ensure appropriate alignment, collaboration, troubleshooting, and timeliness.
- Work closely and regularly with the VP of Finance & HR to handle staffing and personnel issues.
- Provide mentorship and guidance, and alleviate and address individual and group concerns as necessary.
Executive Management and Support
- Act as an adviser to María Teresa and senior team.
- Assist María Teresa in facilitating effective decision-making.
- Assess inquires/requests directed at María
- Work closely with Executive Assistant to remain apprised of/schedule upcoming commitments, and provide proactive identification of issues that could impact the successful execution of those commitments.
- Work closely with María Teresa and Executive Assistant in planning for critical meetings to ensure that meeting objectives are realistic, preparation is appropriate, and that the principal is well-prepared.
- Develop/draft communication on behalf of María Teresa and/or research in support of these as needed (i.e. board updates, op-eds, speeches, etc.)
- Support the senior team’s communications with María Teresa; help facilitate decisions senior team needs feedback on from her, support senior team in their ability to raise critical issues with her and receive timely responses, guidance and decisions.
Strategic Planning and Analysis
- Drive implementation of current strategic plan, including development of benchmarks, analysis of progress toward objectives, leadership of staff in goal setting and monitoring, and presentation of plan to board and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with María Teresa and senior team to ensure that organizational initiatives and activities are in line with strategy and brand.
Program Management and Development
- Oversee and analyze success and challenges with current programs.
- In collaboration with the program team, design and develop program offerings and metrics based on analysis, in accordance with strategic plan, and in support of organization’s mission, to increase depth and breadth of program impact.
- Provide support to María Teresa and development staff to increase fundraising abilities of organization.
- Work with and support María Teresa and the communications team to develop strategies around communications, partnerships, and fundraising.
- Lead development, planning, implementation, and analysis of special initiatives that may arise.
- Develop framework to ensure that initiatives are in line with strategy and brand.
- Bachelor’s degree and 8-10 years executive level experience or applicable experience in consulting, campaigns, or government.
- Strong passion for the advancement and well-being of Latino community and ear to the ground when it comes to what young Latinos are talking about and content that resonates with them.
- Demonstrated strategic leadership of large groups engaged in driving multiple efforts/initiatives at the same time.
- Hands-on leader who thrives at conceptualizing and growing internal systems; ability to work creatively with teams to lead organizational transformation and change.
- Unquestionable problem-solving and project management skills.
- Impeccable managerial, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Highly-developed communications skills (written/verbal) and interpersonal savvy.
- Proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management.
- Results/action oriented; able to think critically and successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fastpaced environment.
- Self-starter that can work strategically and collaboratively across departments.
- General knowledge of digital/social media platforms and role in civic engagement and participation.
- Strong networking skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships with individuals, organizations and government agencies and well as to work with diverse groups of people.
- Politically-minded and abreast of current affairs, especially those pertaining to the Latino community.
- Willingness to learn, work hard, and teach/mentor others.
- High personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity and trust.
- Sense of humor; high confidence, low ego.
Professional Level: Executive
Minimum Education Required: 4-year degree
Voto Latino offers competitive benefits including subsidized health, dental and vision plans; generous paid time off leave; 11 paid holidays; employer paid disability/life/AD&D insurance and more!
Compensation is commensurate with candidate’s relevant experience.
Voto Latino is a nonpartisan organization that empowers Latino Millennials to claim a better future for themselves and their community. United by the belief that Latino issues are American issues and American issues are Latino issues, Voto Latino is dedicated to bringing new and diverse voices to develop leaders by engaging youth, media, technology and celebrities to promote positive change.
Voto Latino is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, LGBTQ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.