Do you have a proven track record of setting the direction and strategy for all internal and external communications at a national organization? If so, we’re interested in you for the role of Communications Director.
Voto Latino is seeking a committed individual to refine and lead communications across campaigns, digital platforms, and external representation. This includes setting the communications agenda, leading a small internal team, writing speeches and press releases, serving as liaison on key campaigns, and when necessary, serving as spokesperson for media. To be clear, we all wear various hats around here, and this gig will require you to do the same.
- Manage and mentor communications staff.
- Develop and execute a strategic communications plan to support the organization’s mission and objectives.
- Regularly develop/oversee messaging for multiple communication channels (e.g., social media copy, press releases, speeches, marketing materials, etc.)
- Conduct trainings, presentations, and media interviews on behalf of Voto Latino and represent Voto Latino in partner coalitions.
- Oversee coordination of special media events such as press conferences, Capitol Hill briefings, etc.
- Develop new and existing media relationships and partners.
- Train staff in communications best practices.
- Travel as needed, typically once per quarter or more.
- 4-year college degree, preferably in communications or journalism.
- At least 5-7 years of state government relations/communications/public affairs/campaigns experience.
- Proven ability to successfully manage a team and be both boss and mentor.
- Consistent record of juggling multiple tasks/campaigns with varying deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with similar Spanish competency a plus.
- Ability to integrate online and new media strategies into overall communications strategy.
- Demonstrated commitment to Latino civil rights and/or issues of social justice.
- Prior community organizing or campaign experience is preferred.
- Must be based or be willing to move to the Washington, DC area.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Voto Latino also offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, vacation and sick leave.
Voto Latino is a nonpartisan organization that empowers Latino Millennials to claim a better future for themselves and their community. United by the belief that Latino issues are American issues and American issues are Latino issues, Voto Latino is dedicated to bringing new and diverse voices to develop leaders by engaging youth, media, technology and celebrities to promote positive change.
Voto Latino is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, LGBTQ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.